Economic development in Ghana and Malaysia : a comparative analysis / Samuel K. Andoh, Bernice J. deGannes Scott and Grace Ofori-Abebrese.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
- Routledge explorations in development studies
Routledge explorations in development studies
110 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 23 cm.
- Economic development -- Ghana.
Economic development -- Malaysia.
Ghana -- Economic policy -- 21st century.
Malaysia -- Economic policy -- 21st century.
Ghana -- Politics and government -- 21st century.
Malaysia -- Politics and government -- 21st century.
Politics and government.
- "Economic Development in Ghana and Malaysia investigates why two countries that appeared to be at more or less the same stage of economic development at one point in time have diverged so substantially. At the time of their independence from the UK in 1957, both Ghana and Malaysia were at roughly the same stage of economic development; in fact, Ghana's real per capita income was slightly ahead of Malaysia's. Since then, Ghana's development has been sluggish, whilst Malaysia's economy has taken off into sustained growth and today, the real per capita income of Malaysia is about five times that of Ghana, with Malaysia almost a 'developed' country. This volume examines the pre-colonial and colonial economies of both countries, and the economic policies pursued after independence. In doing so, it aims to identify policies which might have contributed to Malaysia's development, and those which might have slowed Ghana's. The authors ask whether lessons can be learned from the successes of countries such as Malaysia. This detailed comparative analysis will be useful to students and researchers of development economics as well as public policymakers in developing countries. It is written in a language which makes it accessible to the general reader"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- deGannes Scott, Bernice J., author.
Ofori-Abebrese, Grace, author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Andoh, Samuel K., Economic development in ghana and malaysia
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|