The history of the Philippines / Kathleen Nadeau.
- Second edition.
- Santa Barbara : Greenwood, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 
- Greenwood histories of the modern nations
The Greenwood histories of the modern nations
xiv, 218 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Philippines -- History.
- Updated and expanded since it first published in 2008, The History of the Philippines dives deeper into this island nation's history and explores the recent political, cultural, and environmental events of the last decade. Readers will find a wealth of information on pre-colonial and post-colonial historical periods, covering the Philippines' earliest inhabitants. Also covered are the modern tyrannical periods of the Marcos dictatorship and President Duterte's controversial "war on drugs," as well as the more optimistic and promising presidencies in between. Among the many topics covered in this new edition are the feminization of outmigration that peaked at the end of the 20th century, globalization and the spread of export processing zones, and the impact of the "call center culture" coupled with that of the overseas diaspora on the changing structure of the traditional family. Ideal for high school and undergraduate readers, this volume includes expanded and new chapters, as well as an updated timeline and annotated bibliography.
- Preface to the Second Edition
Timeline of Historical Events
1. Overview of the Philippines Today: Geography and Climate
2. The Islands before Spanish Colonization (Pre-1521)
3. Spanish Colonization (1521-1896)
4. The Philippine Revolution (1896-1902)
5. American Colonization (1899-1946)
6. Philippine Independence (Post-World War II)
7. The Marcos Regime (1965-1986)
8. People Power and Elite Democracy (1986-2001)
9. Elite Politics, Corruption, and Climate Change (2001-2016)
10. Rodrigo Duterte's "War on Drugs" (2016- )
Notable People in the History of the Philippines.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 197-201) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|