The generall historie of Virginia, Nevv-England, and the Summer Iles : with the names of the adventurers, planters, and governours, from their first beginning, an⁰ 1584. to this present 1625. VVith the proceedings of those severall colonies, and the accidents that befell them in all their iourneyes and discoveries. Also, the maps and descriptions of all those countries, their commodities, people, government, customes, and religion yet knowne. Divided into sixe bookes. By Captaine Iohn Smith, sometimes governour in those countries, and admirall of Nevv-England.
- Other Title:
- Generall historie of Virginia, New-England, and the Summer Isles
Generall historie of Virginia, New-England, and the Summer Isles.
- London : Printed by I[ohn] D[awson] and I[ohn] H[aviland] for Michael Sparkes, 1625.
- Early English books online
1 online resource (, 96, 105-248 pages,  plates (4 folded)) : portraits, maps
- Indians of North America -- Virginia -- Early works to 1800.
- Local subjects:
- Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Early works to 1800. (search)
Virginia -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800. (search)
New England -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 -- Early works to 1800. (search)
Bermuda Islands -- History -- Early works to 1800. (search)
- Largely a collected edition of his "A description of New England", "A map of Virginia", "New Englands trials", and "A true relation of such occurrences and accidents of noate as hath hapned in Virginia since the first planting of that collony, which is now resident in the south part thereof, till the last returne from thence".
"Dawson pr[inted]. )(² , A-N⁴. Haviland pr[inted]. P-Ii⁴"--STC.
With an additional engraved title page dated 1624, signed: Grauen by Iohn Barra.
Some copies have an errata slip.
Another state of STC 22790, with added letterpress title page.
For details on various states see Sabin.
Reproduction of the original in the Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery.
Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1999- (Early English books online) Digital version of: (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 1496:14) s1999 miun s
- Cited in:
- STC (2nd edition) 22790a.
- Barra, John, approximately 1574-1634, engraver.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|