The system : who rigged it, how we fix it / Robert B. Reich.
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2020.
viii, 206 pages ; 19 cm
- Dimon, Jamie.
Democracy -- United States.
Oligarchy -- United States.
Corporate power -- United States.
Business and politics -- United States.
Elite (Social sciences) -- United States.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1989-
Business and politics.
Elite (Social sciences)
Politics and government.
- "Millions of Americans have lost confidence in our political and economic system. After years of stagnant wages, volatile job markets, and an unwillingness to deal with profound threats such as climate change, there is a mounting sense that the system is fixed, serving only those select few with enough money to secure a controlling stake. With the characteristic clarity and passion that has made him a central civil voice, Robert B. Reich shows how wealth and power have interacted to install an elite oligarchy, eviscerate the middle class, and undermine democracy. Using Jamie Dimon, the chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase as an example, Reich exposes how those at the top propagate myths about meritocracy, national competitiveness, corporate social responsibility, and the "free market," to distract most Americans from their accumulation of extraordinary wealth, and power over the system. Instead of answering the call to civic duty, they have chosen to uphold self-serving policies that line their own pockets and benefit their bottom line. Reich's objective is not to foster cynicism, but rather to demystify the system so that we might instill fundamental change and demand that democracy works for the majority once again"-- Provided by publisher.
- The obsolescence of right and left
Socialism for the rich, harsh capitalism for the rest
The system of corruption
The silence of the CEOs
The core contradiction
The vicious cycle
From stakeholder to shareholder capitalism
The power shift
The last coping mechanism
The triumph of oligarchy
How oligarchies retain power
Why democracy will prevail
A final word to Mr. Dimon.
- "This is a Borzoi book published by Alfred A. Knopf."
Includes bibliographical references.
- Other format:
- Online version: Reich, Robert B. System.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|