Neural Networks and Animal Behavior / Stefano Ghirlanda, Magnus Enquist.
- Course Book
- Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
- Monographs in Behavior and Ecology
1 online resource : 12 halftones. 102 line illus. 6 tables.
- Animal behavior -- Computer simulation.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- How can we make better sense of animal behavior by using what we know about the brain? This is the first book that attempts to answer this important question by applying neural network theory. Scientists create Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) to make models of the brain. These networks mimic the architecture of a nervous system by connecting elementary neuron-like units into networks in which they stimulate or inhibit each other's activity in much the same way neurons do. This book shows how scientists can employ ANNs to analyze animal behavior, explore the general principles of the nervous systems, and test potential generalizations among species. The authors focus on simple neural networks to show how ANNs can be investigated by math and by computers. They demonstrate intuitive concepts that make the operation of neural networks more accessible to nonspecialists. The first chapter introduces various approaches to animal behavior and provides an informal introduction to neural networks, their history, and their potential advantages. The second chapter reviews artificial neural networks, including biological foundations, techniques, and applications. The following three chapters apply neural networks to such topics as learning and development, classical instrumental condition, and the role of genes in building brain networks. The book concludes by comparing neural networks to other approaches. It will appeal to students of animal behavior in many disciplines. It will also interest neurobiologists, cognitive scientists, and those from other fields who wish to learn more about animal behavior.
Chapter One. Understanding Animal Behavior
Chapter Two. Fundamentals of Neural Network Models
Chapter Three. Mechanisms of Behavior
Chapter Four. Learning and Ontogeny
Chapter Five. Evolution
Chapter Six. Conclusions
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Ghirlanda, Stefano, author.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781400850785 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|