Bering / David Eltis, David Richardson.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Vitus Jonassen Bering (1681-1741) is a towering figure in the history of exploration. In the course of two expeditions that consumed most of his adult life-and eventually led to his death-he journeyed from St. Petersburg to Siberia and ultimately to the northwest coast of America. Along with the members of his expedition (thousands participated in the second expedition), Bering greatly expanded the Russian empire, pioneered the geography of the North Pacific Ocean, and laid the groundwork for Russian trade and settlement in the American West.In the first biography of Bering written in over a century, Orcutt Frost chronicles the life of this extraordinary explorer. Drawing on a wide range of new evidence-including personal letters and archaeological evidence derived from the recent discovery of Bering's grave site-the author reconstructs Bering's personality, his perilous voyages, and his uneasy relationship with the naturalist Georg Steller, who unobtrusively guided the stranded expedition as Bering lay dying.A riveting narrative of adventure and disaster on the high seas, this biography is also a major contribution to the history of maritime exploration.
Chronology of Events
CHAPTER ONE. VITUS BERING SIGNS ON WITH RUSSIA
CHAPTER TWO. NEVER ON LAND HAD SO MANY GONE SO FAR
CHAPTER THREE. INTO THE ICY SEA
CHAPTER FOUR. A DREAM OF EMPIRE
CHAPTER FIVE. SET UP TO FAIL
CHAPTER SIX. LETTERS HOME: Anna Bering in Command
CHAPTER SEVEN. STELLER SIGNS ON WITH BERING
CHAPTER EIGHT. FROM KAMCHATKA TO NORTH AMERICA
CHAPTER NINE. FIRST LANDING: Kayak Island
CHAPTER TEN. SCURVY
CHAPTER ELEVEN. NATIVE AMERICANS
CHAPTER TWELVE. CRUEL WAVES
CHAPTER THIRTEEN. DECISION TO LAND: Bering Island
CHAPTER FOURTEEN. DEATH CAMP
CHAPTER FIFTEEN. BERING'S DEATH
CHAPTER SIXTEEN. HOW BERING'S MEN GOT OFF THE ISLAND
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Blight, David W.
Richardson, David, author., Author,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300144024 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|