A Memorandum for the President of the Royal Audiencia and Chancery Court of the City and Kingdom of Granada / Francisco Núñez Muley.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 
1 online resource (128 p.) : 2 halftones, 2 maps
- Moriscos -- Cultural assimilation -- Spain -- Granada (Province).
Moriscos -- Spain -- Granada (Province) -- History.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Conquered in 1492 and colonized by invading Castilians, the city and kingdom of Granada faced radical changes imposed by its occupiers throughout the first half of the sixteenth century-including the forced conversion of its native Muslim population. Written by Francisco Núñez Muley, one of many coerced Christian converts, this extraordinary letter lodges a clear-sighted, impassioned protest against the unreasonable and strongly assimilationist laws that required all converted Muslims in Granada to dress, speak, eat, marry, celebrate festivals, and be buried exactly as the Castilian settler population did. Now available in its first English translation, Núñez Muley's account is an invaluable example of how Spain's former Muslims made active use of the written word to challenge and openly resist the progressively intolerant policies of the Spanish Crown. Timely and resonant-given current debates concerning Islam, minorities, and cultural and linguistic assimilation-this edition provides scholars in a range of fields with a vivid and early example of resistance in the face of oppression.
A Memorandum for the President of the Royal Audiencia and Chancery Court of the City and Kingdom of Granada
Appendix. Excerpts from Mármol Carvajal's Historia del [sic] rebelión y castigo de los moriscos del Reino de Granada
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Barletta, Vincent
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226547282 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|