Bennewitz, Goethe, 'Faust' : German and Intercultural Stagings / David G. John.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource
- Intercultural communication in the performing arts -- Germany.
Theater -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
Theatrical producers and directors -- Germany -- Biography.
- Local subjects:
- DISCOUNT-B. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Fritz Bennewitz (1926-1995) was the director-in-chief of East Germany's Weimar National Theatre. Extraordinary in his capacity for cultural and linguistic adjustment, he directed productions in twelve countries, always adapting shows to make them meaningful to local audiences. Notably, Bennewitz conducted stagings of Goethe's Faust in four different languages over a series of seven productions - three in pre-unification Weimar, one in the reunited Germany, and one each in New York, Manila, and Mumbai.The first comprehensive account of Bennewitz's remarkable career, Bennewitz, Goethe, Faust is also a pioneering study of intercultural interpretations of Faust. David G. John brings to light previously unknown archival materials - including annotated playbooks, correspondence, translations, videos, and reception information - as well as unpublished production photos from the stagings discussed in the book. Bennewitz, Goethe, Faust makes a cogent argument for this director's place alongside the twentieth century's greatest theatre innovators.
Part I. Fritz Bennewitz
1. Persona and Theory
2. Peers: Interviews with Erika Stephan, Dieter Görne, and Wolfgang Engel
Part II. The German Stagings of Faust: Chronicle of a Society
3. The German Stagings of Faust: Chronicle of a Society
4. Hooray for Socialism? Weimar 1975
5. Socialism? Weimar 1981/82
6. 'Alles für die Katz': Meiningen 1995
Part III. The Intercultural Stagings of Faust
7. The First Black Gretchen: New York 1978
8. The Hindu Faust: Bombay 1994
9. The Christian Faust: Manila 1994
10. From Loyalist to Intercultural Pioneer
Appendix 1: Fritz Bennewitz: Biographical Highlights
Appendix 2: Fritz Bennewitz's Travels
Appendix 3: Plays Directed by Fritz Bennewitz
Appendix 4: Holdings of the Fritz Bennewitz Archive
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 13. Sep 2017)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442695900 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|