The Intellectual as Hero in 1990s Ukrainian Fiction / Mark Andryczyk.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource
- Heroes in literature.
Intellectuals in literature.
Ukrainian fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- The 1990s were a period of tremendous artistic vigour, experimentation, and liberation for Ukrainian culture. The artists who emerged at this time unleashed a tidal wave of creativity that deliberately and aggressively reshaped inherited models. In this first English monograph on contemporary Ukrainian literature, Mark Andryczyk provides an in-depth analysis of the cultural explosion that engulfed Ukraine in its first decade of independence. The Intellectual as Hero in 1990s Ukrainian Fiction weaves a fascinating narrative full of colourful characters by examining the prose of today's leading writers. Andryczyk delves into the role of the intellectual in forging a post-Soviet Ukrainian identity, and follows these protagonists as they soar and stumble in pursuit of redefining their creative realm. In addition to introducing readers to vibrant literary gems, this book explores the artistic tendencies that determined the course of the Ukrainian cultural scene in the 1990s, and continue to shape it today.
Introduction: Approaching the Post- Soviet Ukrainian Intellectual; or, the Word 'Intellectual' Pronounced with a Ukrainian Accent
PART I: EUPHORIA
1. New Prototypes of the Ukrainian Intellectual in Post-Soviet Ukrainian Prose - The Swashbuckling Performer
2. New Prototypes of the Ukrainian Intellectual in Post-Soviet Ukrainian Prose - The Ambassador to the West
3. Deconstructive Revelry
PART II: CHAOS
4. New Prototypes of the Ukrainian Intellectual in Post-Soviet Ukrainian Prose - The Sick Soul
5. A Return to the Margins
PART III: COMMUNITY
6. A gents of the Metaphysical
7. A Community of Others
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442695887 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|