American Cinema of the 1960s : Themes and Variations / Barry Keith Grant.
- New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press, 
- Screen Decades: American Culture/America
1 online resource (296 p.) : 33
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- The profound cultural and political changes of the 1960s brought the United States closer to social revolution than at any other time in the twentieth century. The country fragmented as various challenges to state power were met with increasing and violent resistance. The Cold War heated up and the Vietnam War divided Americans. Civil rights, women's liberation, and gay rights further emerged as significant social issues. Free love was celebrated even as the decade was marked by assassinations, mass murders, and social unrest. At the same time, American cinema underwent radical change as well. The studio system crumbled, and the Production Code was replaced by a new ratings system. Among the challenges faced by the film industry was the dawning shift in theatrical exhibition from urban centers to surburban multiplexes, an increase in runaway productions, the rise of independent producers, and competition from both television and foreign art films. Hollywood movies became more cynical, violent, and sexually explicit, reflecting the changing values of the time. In ten original essays, American Cinema of the 1960s examines a range of films that characterized the decade, including Hollywood movies, documentaries, and independent and experimental films. Among the films discussed are Elmer Gantry, The Apartment, West Side Story, The Manchurian Candidate, To Kill a Mockingbird, Cape Fear, Bonnie and Clyde, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Midnight Cowboy, and Easy Rider.
Timeline: The 1960s
Introduction: Movies and the 1960s / Grant, Barry Keith
1960 Movies and Intimations of Disaster and Hope / Sharrett, Christopher
1961 Movies and Civil Rights / Everett, Anna
1962 Movies and Deterioration / Schaefer, Eric
1963 Movies and the Little Soldiers of the New Frontier / McElhaney, Joe
1964 Movies, the Great Society, and the New Sensibility / Morrison, James
1965 Movies and the Color Line / Desser, David
1966 Movies and Camp / Benshoff, Harry M.
1967 Movies and the Specter of Rebellion / Pomerance, Murray
1968 Movies and the Failure of Nostalgia / Abramson, Leslie H.
1969 Movies and the Counterculture / Milliken, Christie
Select Academy Awards, 1960-1969
Works Cited and Consulted
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- Abramson, Leslie.
Grant, Barry Keith, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.36019/9780813544717 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|