Textual Cultures of Medieval Italy : Essays from the 41st Conference on Editorial Problems / William Robins.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource
- Local subjects:
- DISCOUNT-B. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Medieval Italy presented a rich array of discrete textual cultures, many of them specific to particular regions, professions, or groups of writers and readers. The essays in this collection consider how distinct habits of writing took root among specific communities in Italy between the early Middle Ages and the eve of the Renaissance.In examining how ideological concerns helped give shape to strategies of writing and how forms of communication influenced cultural developments, these case studies assess a wide range of texts, including legal treatises, saintly biographies, rhetorical handbooks, and vernacular poetry. As a whole, the collection makes the case for combining abstract analyses such as textual theory and intellectual history with more technical specialties such as editing and codicology. Rather than approaching pre-modern Italian textuality as something uniform, Textual Cultures of Medieval Italy engages with its fascinating plurality.
Notes on Contributors
Figures and Tables
1 The Study of Medieval Italian Textual Cultures
PART ONE. Forms of Textual Exchange
2 Rhetoric and Reform during the Eleventh and Twelfth Centuries
3 Adventures in Textuality: Lyric Poetry, the Tenzone, and Cino da Pistoia
PART TWO. Materials of Textual Communication
4 Public Textual Cultures: A Case Study in Southern Italy
5 The Textualization of Early Italian Cantari
PART THREE. Administrative Textual Cultures
6 Paulinus of Aquileia's Sponsio episcoporum: Written Oaths and Ecclesiastical Discipline in Carolingian Italy
7 Writing the Vernacular at the Merchant Court of Florence
PART FOUR. Collaborative Textual Cultures
8 The Death of Angela of Foligno and the Genesis of the Liber Angelae
9 Editing Legal Texts from the Late Middle Ages
Index of Manuscripts
Index of Names and Subjects
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 13. Sep 2017)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442694606 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|