Beethoven: The Ninth Symphony : Revised Edition / David Benjamin Levy.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
- Yale Music Masterworks
1 online resource (256 p.) : 40 b/w illus.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, a masterpiece that has influenced virtually every Western composer since its premiere, has become associated with the marking of momentous public occasions. In 1989, Chinese students played its finale through loudspeakers in Tiananmen Square, and Leonard Bernstein led a performance in Berlin to celebrate the razing of the Berlin Wall. This lively and up-to-date book focuses on Beethoven's Ninth, exploring the cultural and musical meanings that surround this powerful work of genius.David B. Levy sets the scene with a brief survey of nineteenth-century Germanic culture and society, then analyzes the Ninth symphony in detail with special emphasis on the famous choral finale. He discusses the initial performances in 1824 under Beethoven's direction and traces the symphony's critical reception and legacy. In the final chapter of the book, Levy examines interpretations of the work by prominent conductors, including Wagner, Mahler, and Weingartner. A fully annotated discography of selected recordings completes this comprehensive volume.
CHAPTER 1: FROM ''RESCUE FROM THE CHAINS OF TYRANTS'' TO ''ALL MEN BECOME BROTHERS'': THE WORLD OF THE NINTH
CHAPTER 2: THE GENESIS OF THE NINTH
CHAPTER 3: THE NINTH: MOVEMENTS I-III
CHAPTER 4: THE NINTH: THE CHORAL FINALE
CHAPTER 5: THE PERFORMANCES OF 1824
CHAPTER 6: IN THE SHADOW OF THE NINTH
CHAPTER 7: PERFORMANCE TRADITIONS
Nine Ninths: A Select Discography
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300129038 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|