Questions of Tradition / Gordon Schochet, Mark Phillips.
- Other records:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource
- Tradition (Philosophy).
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Tradition is a central concern for a wide range of academic disciplines interested in problems of transmitting culture across generations. Yet, the concept itself has received remarkably little analysis. A substantial literature has grown up around the notion of 'invented tradition,' but no clear concept of tradition is to be found in these writings; since the very notion of 'invented tradition' presupposes a prior concept of tradition and is empty without one, this debunking usage has done as much to obscure the idea as to clarify it. In the absence of a shared concept, the various disciplines have created their own vocabularies to address the subject. Useful as they are, these specialized vocabularies (of which the best known include hybridity, canonicity, diaspora, paradigm, and contact zones) separate the disciplines and therefore necessarily create only a collection of parochial and disjointed approaches.Until now, there has been no concerted attempt to put the various disciplines in conversation with one another around the problem of tradition. Combining discussions of the idea of tradition by major scholars from a variety of disciplines with synoptic, synthesizing essays, Questions of Tradition will initiate a renewal of interest in this vital subject.
Preface / Phillipsh, Mark Salber / Schochet, Gordon
Introduction: What Is Tradition When It Is Not 'Invented'? A Historiographical Introduction / Phillips, Mark Salber
1. Narratives of the Treaty Table: Cultural Property and the Negotiation of Tradition / Laforet, Andrea
2. Disappearing Acts: Traditions of Exposure, Traditions of Enclosure, and Iroquois Masks / Phillips, Ruth B.
3. The Tradition of African Art: Reflections on the Social Life of a Subject / Steiner, Christopher B.
4. Zwarte Piet's Bal Masque / Bal, Mieke
5. Traditional Futures / Clifford, James
6. Tacit Knowledge: Tradition and Its Aftermath / Mckeon, Michael
7. The Traditions of Liberalism / Rodger, Daniel T.
8. Law/Custom/Tradition: Perspectives from the Common Law / Lieberman, David
9. Tradition, Ethical Knowledge, and Multicultural Societies / Warnke, Georgia
10. Ideas about Tradition in the Life and Work of Philippe Aries / Hutton, Patrick H.
11. Tradition as Politics and the Politics of Tradition / Schochet, Gordon
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Phillips, Mark, editor.
Schochet, Gordon, editor.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442678958 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|