Catastrophic Injuries in Sports and Recreation : Causes and Prevention - A Canadian Study / Charles H. Tator.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource (592 p.)
- Sports injuries -- Prevention.
Sports injuries -- Research -- Ontario.
Sports injuries -- Ontario.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Catastrophic Injuries in Sport and Recreation is an essential reference guide to safe participation in a wide variety of sports and recreational activities. A masterful achievement of methodology, it is the first complete epidemiological study and analysis of all catastrophic injuries in all sports and recreational activities that occurred within a large defined geographical area with a large population: ten million people within the province of Ontario between 1986 and 1995. Concentrating on injuries that resulted in death or long term disability, the contributors identify both the personal risk factors for participants and the societal risk factors that are important causes for these kinds of injuries. Providing detailed analysis of 2154 case studies, the contributors demonstrate what went wrong in each event, and show how each injury could have been prevented. Recommending specific prevention strategies for a wide range of injuries, Catastrophic Injuries in Sport and Recreation is a practical medical reference for athletes and doctors alike.
SECTION 1. Introduction and Overview
1. Description of the Study / Tator, Charles H.
2. Overview of the Results of the Ontario Study, 1986-1995 / Tator, Charles H.
3. Sports Injury Prevention: General Principles / Provvidenza, Christine
4. Geographical Locations Where 2,154 Catastrophic Sports and Recreation Injuries Were Sustained / Tator, Charles H.
5. Anatomical Locations and Types of Ontarians' Catastrophic Injuries / Ackery, Alun / Tator, Charles H.
SECTION 2. Water Sports
6. Canoeing / Ahmad, Yusra / Tator, Charles H.
7. Sailing / Muzumdar, Pemma
8. Personal Watercraft / Cook, Douglas J. / Tator, Charles H.
9. Other Boating Activities / Muzumdar, Pemma / Tator, Charles H.
10. Fishing / Ahmad, Yusra / Tator, Charles H.
11. Diving / Heinicke, Sheila / Tator, Charles H.
12. Scuba-Diving / Heinicke, Sheila
13. Swimming / Ackery, Alun
14. Waterskiing / Muzumdar, Pemma
15. Other Water Sports: Parasailing, Parachute-Skiing, Sailboarding, Sea-Biscuit Riding, Surfing, Water-Tubing, Water Polo, Watersliding, Water Play, Windsurfing / Detsky, Michael / Baerlocher, Mark O.
SECTION 3. Motor Sports
16. Snowmobiling / Heinicke, Sheila / Tator, Charles H.
17. All Terrain Vehicle Riding / Heinicke, Sheila / Tator, Charles H.
18. Motorbiking / Paesani, Vanessa I. / Tator, Charles H.
19. Dirt-Biking (Off-Road Motorcycling) / Ovakim, Daniel H.
20. Other Motor Sports: Mopedding, Motorcycling, Mini-biking, Trail-Biking, Stock Car Driving, Go-Carting / Muzumdar, Pemma
SECTION 4. Winter Sports
21. Ice Hockey / Saleh, Fady / Tator, Charles H.
22. Ice Skating / Jalal, Adnan / Tator, Charles H.
23. Alpine Skiing / Simson, Helen / Tator, Charles H.
24. Snowboarding / Ackery, Alun
25. Cross-Country Skiing / Ricciuto, Daniel R.
26. Tobogganing and Sledding / Baerlocher, Mark O. / Tator, Charles H.
27. Other Winter Sports: Ringette, Curling, Boot Hockey, Broomball / Muzumdar, Pemma / Tator, Charles H.
SECTION 5. Bicycling and Other Street Activities
28. Bicycling / Saleh, Fady / Simson, Helen / Tator, Charles H.
29. In-Line Skating / Baerlocher, Mark O. / Koch, Cynthia / Saleh, Fady
30. Skateboarding / Butt, Bilal / Tator, Charles H.
31. Running and Jogging / Butt, Fatima / Tator, Charles H.
SECTION 6. Air Sports
32. Flying Small Aircraft / Giffin, Meredith / Baerlocher, Mark O.
33. Other Air Sports: Ultralight Air Sports, Hang-Gliding, Para-gliding, Gliding / Rahman, Sana / Tator, Charles H.
34. Parachuting / Baerlocher, Mark O.
SECTION 7. Field Sports
35. Baseball / Ackery, Alun
36. Football / Saleh, Fady
37. Soccer 470 / Saleh, Fady / Jalal, Adnan
38. Rugby / Saleh, Fady
39. Other Field Sports Track and Field, Field Hockey, Lacrosse / Muzumdar, Pemma
SECTION 8. Racquet Sports
40. Badminton / Rahman, Sana / Tator, Charles H.
41. Racquetball / Pirzada, Kashif
42. Squash / Ahmed, Ishtiaq
43. Tennis / Jalal, Adnan
SECTION 9. Equestrian Sports
44. Horseback Riding / Provvidenza, Christine
SECTION 10. Floor Sports
45. Basketball / Fatima, Marium / Tator, Charles H.
46. Floor Hockey / Butt, Bilal / Motwani, Prakash / Tator, Charles H.
47. Gymnastics / Jalal, Adnan
48. Wrestling / Saleh, Fady
49. Martial Arts: Karate and Tae Kwon Do / Baerlocher, Mark O.
50. Other Floor Sports: Weightlifting, Volleyball, Handball, Gym, Boxing, Kick-Boxing / Rahman, Sana
SECTION 11. Playgrounds and Play
51. Playgrounds and Play: Tree Climbing, Slides, Monkey Bars / Provvidenza, Christine / Tator, Charles H.
SECTION 12. Missile Sports and Recreational Activities
52. Hunting / Saleh, Fady / Jalal, Adnan
53. War Games (Paintball) / Ackery, Alun
54. Air Guns / Saleh, Fady / Ahmed, Ishtiaq
55. Other Missile Sports: Darts, Archery, Target Practice, Slingshot / Rahman, Sana
SECTION 13. Summer Sports
56. Golf / Ackery, Alun
57. Ball Hockey / Motwani, Prakash / Butt, Bilal / Tator, Charles H.
58. Camping and Hiking / Ackery, Alun
59. Mountain Climbing / Maltzahn, Maia von / Baerlocher, Mark O. / Tator, Charles H.
60. Other Summer Sports: Roller Skating, Walking, Billiards, Tree Climbing, Kite Flying, Steer Wrestling, Fairgrounds / Rahman, Sana
61. Conclusion / Tator, Charles H.
APPENDIX 1: Survey Questionnaire
APPENDIX 2: Participation and Injury Rates - Males, Females, and by Sport, from the McLaren Report
APPENDIX 3: Population of Ontario in 1986, 1989, 1992, and 1995
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442687561 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|