Glamour in a Golden Age : Movie Stars of the 1930s / Adrienne L. McLean.
- New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press, 
- Star Decades: American Culture/American
1 online resource (297 p.) : 61
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Shirley Temple, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Norma Shearer, Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo, William Powell and Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, and Gary Cooper-Glamour in a Golden Age presents original essays from eminent film scholars that analyze movie stars of the 1930s against the background of contemporary American cultural history. Stardom is approached as an effect of, and influence on, the particular historical and industrial contexts that enabled these actors and actresses to be discovered, featured in films, publicized, and to become recognized and admired-sometimes even notorious-parts of the cultural landscape. Using archival and popular material, including fan and mass market magazines, other promotional and publicity material, and of course films themselves, contributors also discuss other artists who were incredibly popular at the time, among them Ann Harding, Ruth Chatterton, Nancy Carroll, Kay Francis, and Constance Bennett.
INTRODUCTION: Stardom in the 1930s
1. Not of Hollywood
2. Shirley Temple
3. Gary Cooper
4. Bette Davis
5. Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo
6. Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford
7. Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland
8. Jean Harlow
9. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
10. Myrna Loy and William Powell
11. Clark Gable
In the Wings
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jun 2020)
- Becker, Christine
Hark, Ina Rae
McLean, Adrienne L., editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.36019/9780813552330 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|