Environment : An Interdisciplinary Anthology / Eugene Jolas; Andreas Kramer, Rainer Rumold.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource
- Ecology -- Philosophy.
Environmental protection -- Philosophy.
Environmental sciences -- Methodology.
Environmental sciences -- Philosophy.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- This major anthology is the first to apply a fully interdisciplinary approach to environmental studies. A comprehensive guide to environmental literacy, the book demonstrates how the sciences, social sciences, and humanities all contribute to understanding our interrelationships with the natural world. Though not specialized, Environment is a book that even specialists can learn from. Ten innovative case studies--climate shock, species endangerment, nuclear power, biotechnology, sustainable development, deforestation, environmental security, globalization, wilderness, and the urban environment--are followed by readings from specific disciplines. These can be integrated with the case studies to shape individual interests and teaching strategies. The volume presents an imaginative array of texts, from scientific papers to poetry, legal decisions to historical accounts, personal essays to economic analysis. Taken together, these selections provide a balanced, authoritative, and up-to-date treatment of key issues in environmental studies.
Why Environmental Studies?
The Design and Use of This Book
1. Climate Shock
2. Species in Danger
3. Nuclear Power
4. Biotechnology and Genetically Manipulated Organisms
5. The Paradox of Sustainable Development
7. War and Peace
8. Globalization Is Environmental
9. What Is Wilderness and Do We Need It?
10. The Urban Environment: Calcutta and Los Angeles
11. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
12. Soil and Agriculture
13. Air and Water
16. The Inner Life
17. Ethics, Philosophy, Gender
19. History and the Environment
20. Nature Writing
21. Politics and Public Policy
22. Law and Environmental Justice
24. Human Population
26. Conviction and Action
About the Editors
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Kramer, Andreas, editor., Editor,
Rumold, Rainer, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300150315 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|