Shanghai's Bund and Beyond : British Banks, Banknote Issuance, and Monetary Policy in China, 1842-1937 / Niv Horesh.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
- Yale Series in Economic and Financial History
1 online resource (224 p.) : 10 b/w
- Banks and banking, British -- History -- 19th century -- China.
Banks and banking, British -- History -- 20th century -- China.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- As China emerges as a global powerhouse, this timely book examines its economic past and the shaping of its financial institutions. The first comparative study of foreign banking in prewar China, the book surveys the impact of British overseas bank notes on China's economy before the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese War in 1937. Focusing on the two leading British banks in the region, it assesses the favorable and unfavorable effects of the British presence in China, with particular emphasis on Shanghai, and traces instructive links between the changing political climate and banknote circulation volumes.Drawing on recently declassified archival materials, Niv Horesh revises previous assumptions about China's prewar economy, including the extent of foreign banknote circulation and the economic significance of the May Thirtieth Movement of 1925.
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 The Sino- Foreign Financial Grid in Prewar Shanghai
Chapter 3 The Chartered Bank and Its Note Issue
Chapter 4 HSBC and Its Note Issue in Shanghai, 1866-1925
Chapter 5 HSBC and Its China Note Issue in the Late- Republican Era, 1925-1937
Chapter 6 Conclusions
Appendix: British Bank Note Circulation in Shanghai, 1881-1935
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300143621 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|