Canada's Governors General, 1847-1878 : Biography and Constitutional Evolution / Barbara J. Messamore.
- Other records:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource
- Constitutional history -- Canada.
Governors general -- Canada -- Biography.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Oft-ignored in the study of Canadian history or dismissed as a vestige of colonial status, the governor general?s office provides essential historical insight into Canada?s constitutional evolution. In the nineteenth century, as today, individual governors general exercised considerable scope in interpreting their approach to the office. The era 1847?1878 witnessed profound changes in Canada?s relationship with Britain, and in this new book, Barbara J. Messamore explores the nature of these changes through an examination of the role of the governor general.Guided by outmoded instructions and constitutional conventions that were not yet firmly established, the governors general of the time ? Lord Elgin, Sir Edmund Head, Lord Monck, Lord Lisgar, and Lord Dufferin ? all wrestled with the implications of colonial self government. The imprecision of the viceregal role made the character of the appointee especially important and biographical details are thus essential to an understanding of how the new experiment of colonial self-government was put into practice. Messamore?s book marries constitutional history and biography, providing illumination on some of the key figures of nineteenth-century Canadian politics.
1. Introduction: Biography and Constitutional Evolution
2. 'Governor-Generalities '
3. Mary Lambton's Husband
4. The 'Great Experiment': Elgin, Grey, and Responsible Government
5. A Round Man in a Square Hole: Sir Edmund Head in the United Canadas
6. 'A Cat into Hell without Claws': Monck and His Ministries, 1861-1864
7 'An Indolent Individual'?: Lord Lisgar and Canadian Diplomacy
8. 'A Matter of Instinct': Lord Dufferin and the Pacific Scandal
9. Character, Context, and the Constitution: Dufferin, Edward Blake, and the Role of the Governor General
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442671720 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|