Constitutional Faith / Sanford Levinson.
- With a New afterword by the author
- Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
1 online resource : 1 line illus.
- Constitutional history -- United States.
Constitutional law -- Religious aspects.
Constitutional law -- United States.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- This book examines the "constitutional faith" that has, since 1788, been a central component of American "civil religion." By taking seriously the parallel between wholehearted acceptance of the Constitution and religious faith, Sanford Levinson opens up a host of intriguing questions about what it means to be American. While some view the Constitution as the central component of an American religion that serves to unite the social order, Levinson maintains that its sacred role can result in conflict, fragmentation, and even war. To Levinson, the Constitution's value lies in the realm of the discourse it sustains: a uniquely American form of political rhetoric that allows citizens to grapple with every important public issue imaginable. In a new afterword, Levinson looks at the deepening of constitutional worship and attributes the current widespread frustrations with the government to the static nature of the Constitution.
CHAPTER ONE. The "Constitution" in American Civil Religion
CHAPTER TWO. The Moral Dimension of Constitutional Faith
CHAPTER THREE. Loyalty Oaths: The Creedal Affirmations of Constitutional Faith
CHAPTER FOUR. Constitutional "Attachment": Identifying the Content of One's Commitment
CHAPTER FIVE. The Law School, The Faith Community, And the Professing of Law
CHAPTER SIX. Conclusion: Adding One's Signature to the Constitution
AFTERWORD TO THE 2011 EDITION
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781400839872 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|