Studies in Hellenistic Architecture / Frederick Winter.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- Phoenix Supplementary Volumes ; 42
1 online resource
- Architecture, Hellenistic.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Studies in Hellenistic Architecture is a detailed analysis of the development of the major building-types of the Hellenistic age - the mid-fourth century B.C. to the time of the Roman conquest of the Eastern Mediterranean. In this meticulous work, Frederick E. Winter reveals how the architects of the period went beyond anything achieved by their Classical Greek predecessors, and how these impressive skills prepared the way for many of Rome's later architectural achievements.Geographically, the monuments included in this volume extend from Spain to Afghanistan and from Provence to North Africa. Winter discusses the architectural achievements of the various regional styles of the Eastern Mediterranean, and takes a detailed look at Hellenistic developments west of the Adriatic.While the interrelationship of these regional developments is often unclear, especially in cases where there are no explicit criteria for dating, Winter makes excellent use of the advance in scholarship over the past fifty to sixty years, offering the first real attempt at a synthesis of this vast subject. Studies in Hellenistic Architecture is an invaluable resource, containing a wealth of illustrations of the various types of Hellenistic building and the most comprehensive scholarship to date on the topic.
1. Temples and Sanctuaries
3. Stoas in Later Greek Architecture
4. Tombs and Commemorative Monuments
5. Theatres and Stadia
6. Gymnasia, Palaistrai, and Baths
7. Covered Halls and Storehouses
8. Residential Architecture
9. The Hellenistic Style in Italy and Sicily
10. Architecture, Landscape, and Seascape: The Role of Setting and Vista in Hellenistic Design
11. From Greek Structure to Roman Ornament: The Columnar Orders in Hellenistic Times
Abbreviations Used in Notes
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Fedak, Janos.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442657595 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|