Migration Italy : The Art of Talking Back in a Destination Culture / Graziella Parati.
- Other records:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- Toronto Italian Studies
1 online resource
- Immigrants in literature.
Immigrants' writings, Italian -- History and criticism.
Italian literature -- History and criticism.
Motion pictures -- Italy -- History and criticism.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In terms of migration, Italy is often thought of as a source country - a place from which people came rather than one to which people go. However, in the past few decades, Italy has indeed become a destination for many people from poor or war-torn countries seeking a better life in a stable environment. Graziella Parati's Migration Italy examines immigration to Italy in the past twenty years, and explores the processes of cultural hybridization that have occurred.Working from a cultural studies viewpoint, Parati constructs a theoretical framework for discussing Italy as a country of immigration. She gives special attention to immigrant literature, positing that it functions as an act of resistance, a means to talk back to the laws that regulate the lives of migrants. Parati also examines Italian cinema, demonstrating how native and non-native filmmakers alike create parallels between old and new migrations, complicating the definitions of sameness and difference.These definitions and the complexities inherent in the different cultural, legal, and political positions of Italy's people are at the heart of Migration Italy, a unique work of immense importance for understanding society in both modern-day Italy and, indeed, the entire European continent.
1. Strategies of 'Talking Back'
2. Minor Literature, 'Minor Italy'
3. Cinema and Migration: 'What' and 'Who' Is a Migrant
4. The Laws of Migration
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442677265 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|