A Rule for Children and Other Writings / Jacqueline Pascal.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 
- The Other Voice in Early Modern Europe
1 online resource (203 p.)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Jacqueline Pascal (1625-1661) was the sister of Blaise Pascal and a nun at the Jansenist Port-Royal convent in France. She was also a prolific writer who argued for the spiritual rights of women and the right of conscientious objection to royal, ecclesiastic, and family authority. This book presents selections from the whole of Pascal's career as a writer, including her witty adolescent poetry and her pioneering treatise on the education of women, A Rule for Children, which drew on her experiences as schoolmistress at Port-Royal. Readers will also find Pascal's devotional treatise, which matched each moment in Christ's Passion with a corresponding virtue that his female disciples should cultivate; a transcript of her interrogation by church authorities, in which she defended the controversial theological doctrines taught at Port-Royal; a biographical sketch of her abbess, which presented Pascal's conception of the ideal nun; and a selection of letters offering spirited defenses of Pascal's right to practice her vocation, regardless of patriarchal objections.
The Other Voice in Early Europe: Introduction to the Series
Bibliography on Jacqueline Pascal
Poetry of Jacqueline Pascal
On the Mystery of the Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Report of Soeur Jacqueline de Sainte Euphémie to the Mother Prioress of Port-Royal des Champs
A Rule for Children
Interrogation of Soeur Jacqueline de Sainte Euphémie (Pascal), Subprioress and Novice Mistress
A Memoir of Mère Marie Angélique by Soeur Jacqueline de Sainte Euphémie Pascal
Letters of Jacqueline Pascal
Series Editors' Bibliography
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Conley, S.J., John J.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226648347 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|