Law and History in Cervantes' Don Quixote / Susan Byrne.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- Toronto Iberic
1 online resource
- History in literature.
Law in literature.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Law and History in Cervantes' Don Quixote is a deep consideration of the intellectual environment that gave rise to Cervantes' seminal work. Susan Byrne demonstrates how Cervantes synthesized the debates surrounding the two most authoritative discourses of his era - those of law and history - into a new aesthetic product, the modern novel.Byrne uncovers the empirical underpinnings of Don Quixote through a close philological study of Cervantes' sly questioning of and commentary on these fields. As she skilfully demonstrates, while sixteenth-century historiographers and jurists across southern Europe sought the philosophical nexus of their fields, Cervantes created one through the adventures of a protagonist whose history is all about justice. As such, Law and History in Cervantes' Don Quixote illustrates how Cervantes' art highlighted the inconsistencies of juridical-historical texts and practice, as well as anticipated the ultimate resolution of their paradoxes.
Note on Texts
Introduction: Cervantes' Quixotic mos hispanicus
1. History, Jurisprudence, and the Creation of the Novel
2. Giovio, Baeza, History, and Law in Cervantes' Works
3. Jurisprudence in Spain, Seventh to Sixteenth Centuries
4. Laws Broken, Glossed, and Made: Don Quixote
5. Laws Broken, Glossed, and Made: Sancho Panza et al.
6. History and Historiography in the Quixote
7. Cervantes' mos hispanicus: Considerations and Conclusions
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442662278 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|