More of a Man : Diaries of a Scottish Craftsman in Mid-Nineteenth-Century North America / Robert K. Kristofferson, Andrew Holman.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource : 14 illustrations
- Bookkeepers -- Ontario -- Diaries.
Drafters -- Ontario -- Diaries.
Patternmakers -- New York (State) -- New York -- Diaries.
Patternmakers -- Ontario -- Diaries.
- Local subjects:
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- More of a Man presents the only known diaries of a skilled craft-worker in Victorian Canada: Andrew McIlwraith, a Scottish journeyman who migrated to North America during a tumultuous period marked by economic depression and early industrial change. McIlwraith's journals illuminate his quest to succeed financially and emotionally amidst challenging circumstances. The diaries trace his transformations, from an immigrant newcomer to a respected townsman, a wage worker to an entrepreneur, and a bachelor to a married man.Carefully edited and fully annotated by historians Andrew C. Holman and Robert B. Kristofferson, More of a Man features an introduction providing historical context for McIlwraith's life and an epilogue detailing what happened to him after the diaries end. Historians of labour, gender, and migration in the North Atlantic world will find More of a Man a valuable primary document of considerable insight and depth. All readers will find it a lively story of life in the nineteenth century.
A Note on the Source
Introduction: Andrew McIlwraith and His World
'Is the Working Man Better Off in America than in Britain?' Andrew McIlwraith's Letter to the Ayrshire Times, August 29, 1860
Diary for 1857
Diary for 1858
Diary for 1859
Diary for 1860
Diary for 1861
Diary for 1862
Epilogue: Endings and Beginnings
Appendix 1: The McIlwraith and Goldie Family Trees
Appendix 2: Andrew McIlwraith's Mechanics' Institute Library Loans, Newton-on-Ayr, Scotland, 1846-1852
Appendix 3: Memoranda, Cash Accounts, and Letters Sent and Received, 1857-1862
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 07. Dez 2018)
- Kristofferson, Robert K., author.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442662193 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|