Nazi Propaganda for the Arab World / Jeffrey Herf.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (320 p.)
- Antisemitism -- History -- 20th century -- Arab countries.
Antisemitism -- Arab countries -- History -- 20th century.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945).
Nazi propaganda -- History -- 20th century -- Arab countries.
Nazi propaganda -- Arab countries -- History -- 20th century.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Propaganda.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Jeffrey Herf, a leading scholar in the field, offers the most extensive examination to date of Nazi propaganda activities targeting Arabs and Muslims in the Middle East during World War II and the Holocaust. He draws extensively on previously unused and little-known archival resources, including the shocking transcriptions of the "Axis Broadcasts in Arabic" radio programs, which convey a strongly anti-Semitic message.Herf explores the intellectual, political, and cultural context in which German and European radical anti-Semitism was found to resonate with similar views rooted in a selective appropriation of the traditions of Islam. Pro-Nazi Arab exiles in wartime Berlin, including Haj el-Husseini and Rashid el-Kilani, collaborated with the Nazis in constructing their Middle East propaganda campaign. By integrating the political and military history of the war in the Middle East with the intellectual and cultural dimensions of the propagandistic diffusion of Nazi ideology, Herf offers the most thorough examination to date of this important chapter in the history of World War II. Importantly, he also shows how the anti-Semitism promoted by the Nazi propaganda effort contributed to the anti-Semitism exhibited by adherents of radical forms of Islam in the Middle East today.
A Note on Terminology and Spelling
2. Defining Anti-Semitism: 1933-1939
3. Growing Contacts, First Broadcasts: 1939-1941
4. Propaganda and Warfighting in North Africa and the Middle East in 1941
5. "Kill the Jews before They Kill You": Propaganda during the Battles in North Africa in 1942
6. "The Jews Kindled This War in the Interest of Zionism": Propaganda in 1943 as the Tide Turned against the Axis
7. "The Americans, the British, and the Jews Are All Conspiring against Arab Interests": Propaganda from 1944 to Spring 1945
8. Postwar Aftereffects
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300155839 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|