The Deadly Dinner Party : and Other Medical Detective Stories / Jonathan A. Edlow.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (288 p.)
- Medicine -- Case studies.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Picking up where Berton Roueché's The Medical Detectives left off, The Deadly Dinner Party presents fifteen edge-of-your-seat, real-life medical detective stories written by a practicing physician. Award-winning author Jonathan Edlow, M.D., shows the doctor as detective and the epidemiologist as elite sleuth in stories that are as gripping as the best thrillers.In these stories a notorious stomach bug turns a suburban dinner party into a disaster that almost claims its host; a diminutive woman routinely eats more than her football-playing boyfriend but continually loses weight; a young executive is diagnosed with lung cancer, yet the tumors seem to wax and wane inexplicably. Written for the lay person who wishes to better grasp how doctors decipher the myriad clues and puzzling symptoms they often encounter, each story presents a very different case where doctors must work to find the accurate diagnosis before it is too late. Edlow uses his unique ability to relate complex medical concepts in a writing style that is clear, engaging and easily understandable. The resulting stories both entertain us and teach us much about medicine, its history and the subtle interactions among pathogens, humans, and the environment.
1. The Deadly Dinner Party
2. Everywhere That Mary Went
3. The Baby and the Bathwater
4. Rubbed the Wrong Way
5. The Forbidden Fruit
6. Two Ticks from Jersey
7. An Airtight Case
8. Monday Morning Fever
9. The Case of the Wide-Eyed Boy
10. A Study in Scarlet
11. The Case of the Overly Hot Honeymoon
12. Feeling His Oats
13. The Case of the Unhealthy Health Food
14. Little Luisa's Blinding Headache
15. Too Much of a Good Thing
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300154993 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|