Ancient Christian Martyrdom : Diverse Practices, Theologies, and Traditions / Candida R. Moss.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
- The Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library
1 online resource (256 p.)
- Church history -- Primitive and early church, ca. 30-600.
Martyrdom -- Christianity -- History.
Persecution -- History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- The importance of martyrdom for the spread of Christianity in the first centuries of the Common Era is a question of enduring interest. In this innovative new study, Candida Moss offers a radically new history of martyrdom in the first and second centuries that challenges traditional understandings of the spread of Christianity and rethinks the nature of Christian martyrdom itself. Martyrdom, Moss shows, was not a single idea, theology, or practice: there were diverse perspectives and understandings of what it meant to die for Christ.Beginning with an overview of ancient Greek, Roman, and Jewish ideas about death, Moss demonstrates that there were many cultural contexts within which early Christian views of martyrdom were very much at home. She then shows how distinctive and diverging theologies of martyrdom emerged in different ancient congregations. In the process she reexamines the authenticity of early Christian stories about martyrs and calls into question the dominant scholarly narrative about the spread of martyrdom in the ancient world.
1. Cultural Contexts: The Good Death and the Self- Conscious Sufferer
2. Asia Minor: Imitating Christ
3. Rome: Contesting Philosophy
4. Gaul: The Victors of Vienne and Lyons
5 Roman North Africa: Apocalyptic Ascent
6. Alexandria: Clement and the True Martyr
Index of Modern Authors
Index of Ancient Sources
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300154665 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|