Picturing Canada : A History of Canadian Children's Illustrated Books and Publishing / Gail Edwards, Judith Saltman.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource (384 p.)
- Children -- Books and reading -- Canada.
Children's literature, Canadian -- History and criticism.
Illustrated children's books -- Publishing -- Canada -- History.
- Local subjects:
- DISCOUNT-B. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- The study of children's illustrated books is located within the broad histories of print culture, publishing, the book trade, and concepts of childhood. An interdisciplinary history, Picturing Canada provides a critical understanding of the changing geographical, historical, and cultural aspects of Canadian identity, as seen through the lens of children's publishing over two centuries.Gail Edwards and Judith Saltman illuminate the connection between children's publishing and Canadian nationalism, analyse the gendered history of children's librarianship, identify changes and continuities in narrative themes and artistic styles, and explore recent changes in the creation and consumption of children's illustrated books. Over 130 interviews with Canadian authors, illustrators, editors, librarians, booksellers, critics, and other contributors to Canadian children's book publishing, document the experiences of those who worked in the industry.An important and wholly original work, Picturing Canada is fundamental to our understanding of publishing history and the history of childhood itself in Canada.
List of Illustrations
A Chronology of Children's Print History in Canada
PICTURING CANADA A History of Canadian Children's Illustrated Books and Publishing
2 Beginnings to the 1890s: Canadian Children's Books in the Imperial Era
3 The 1890s to the 1950s: 'And Whether We Are Yet a Nation'
4 The Postwar Period: Creating a Children's Publishing Industry
5 The 1970s: Developing a Children's Publishing Industry
6 The 1980s: The Flowering of Canadian Children's Illustrated Books
7 The 1990s to the Present Day: Structural Challenges and Changes
8 Children's Illustrated Books, 1990 to the Present Day
9 Canadian Cultural Identity, Canadian Cultural Identities
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 22. Okt 2019)
- Saltman, Judith, author.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442698949 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|