The Spanish Civil War, the Soviet Union, and Communism / Stanley G. Payne.
- Other records:
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource
- Communism -- Soviet Union.
Communism -- Spain.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In this compelling book Stanley G. Payne offers the first comprehensive narrative of Soviet and Communist intervention in the revolution and civil war in Spain. He documents in unprecedented detail Soviet strategies, Comintern activities, and the role of the Communist party in Spain from the early 1930s to the end of the civil war in 1939.Drawing on a very broad range of Soviet and Spanish primary sources, including many only recently available, Payne changes our understanding of Soviet and Communist intentions in Spain, of Stalin's decision to intervene in the Spanish war, of the widely accepted characterization of the conflict as the struggle of fascism against democracy, and of the claim that Spain's war constituted the opening round of World War II. The author arrives at a new view of the Spanish Civil War and concludes not only that the Democratic Republic had many undemocratic components but also that the position of the Communist party was by no means counterrevolutionary.
Chapter One. Soviet Policy and the Comintern in the Early Years, 1917-1925
Chapter Two. Communism and Revolution in Spain 1917-1931
Chapter Three. Communism and the Second Republic 1931-1934
Chapter Four. From Revolutionary Insurrection to Popular Front 1934-1936
Chapter Five. Communism and the Implosion of the Republic February-July 1936
Chapter six. Communism and the Spanish Revolution July-August 1936
Chapter seven. The Soviet Decision to Intervene Militarily July-October 1936
Chapter Eight. Soviet Military Participation 1936-1939
Chapter Nine. The Policy Struggle under the Largo Caballero Government September 1936-May 1937
Chapter Ten. The Negrín Government 1937-1938
Chapter Twelve. Conclusion
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300130782 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|