Rhetorics of Insecurity : Belonging and Violence in the Neoliberal Era / Zeynep Gambetti, Marcial Godoy-Anativia.
- New York, NY : New York University Press, 
- Social Science Research Council ; 5
1 online resource
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In Rhetorics of Insecurity, Zeynep Gambetti and Marcial Godoy-Anativia bring together a select group of scholars to investigate the societal ramifications of the present-day concern with security in diverse contexts and geographies. The essays claim that discourses and practices of security actually breed insecurity, rather than merely being responses to the latter. By relating the binary of security/insecurity to the binary of neoliberalism/neoconservatism, the contributors to this volume reveal the tensions inherent in the proliferation of individualism and the concurrent deployment of techniques of societal regulation around the globe. Chapters explore the phenomena of indistinction, reversal of terms, ambiguity, and confusion in security discourses. Scholars of diverse backgrounds interpret the paradoxical simultaneity of the suspension and enforcement of the law through a variety of theoretical and ethnographic approaches, and they explore the formation and transformation of forms of belonging and exclusion. Ultimately, the volume as a whole aims to understand one crucial question: whether securitized neoliberalism effectively spells the end of political liberalism as we know it today.
1 Free in the Forest: Popular Neoliberalism and the Aftermath of War in the US Pacific Northwest
2 Autochthony, Citizenship, and (In)security: New Turns in the Politics of Belonging in Africa and Elsewhere
3 Congolité: Elections and the Politics of Autochthony in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
4 Securing "Security" amid Neoliberal Restructuring: Civil Society and Volunteerism in Post-1990 Turkey
5 "I'm No Terrorist, I'm a Kurd": Societal Violence, the State, and the Neoliberal Order
6 Public-Private Partnerships in the Industry of Insecurity
7 Does Globalization Breed Ethnic Violence?
8 Guarded (In)visibility: Violencias and the Labors of Paralegality in the Era of Collapse
9 The Securitarian Society of the Spectacle
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jun 2020)
- Gambetti, Zeynep, editor., Editor,
Godoy-Anativia, Marcial, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.18574/9780814725481 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|