The Problem of Evil in Early Modern Philosophy / Michael J. Latzer, Elmar J. Kremer.
- Other records:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- Toronto Studies in Philosophy
1 online resource
- Good and evil -- Congresses.
Theodicy -- History of doctrines -- 17th century -- Congresses.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Many distinct, controvertial issues are to be found within the labyrinthine twists and turns of the problem of evil. For philosophers of the seventeenth and early eighteenth centures, evil presented a challenge to the consistency and rationality of the world-picture disclosed by the new way of ideas. In dealing with this challenge, however, philosophers were also concerned with their positions in the theological debates about original sin, free will, and justification that were the legacy of the Protestant Reformation to European intellectual life. Emerging from a conference on the problem of evil in the early modern period held at the University of Toronto in 1999, the papers in this collection represent some of the best original work being done today on the theodicies of such early modern philosophers as Leibniz, Suarez, Spinoza, Malebranche, and Pierre Bayle.
2. Suarez on God's Causal Involvement in Sinful Acts / Freddoso, Alfred J.
3. Descartes's Theodicy of Error / Latzer, Michael J.
4. Spinoza: A Radical Protestant? / Hunter, Graeme
5. Spinoza in the Garden of Good and Evil / Nadler, Steven M.
6. Malebranche on Disorder and Physical Evil: Manichaeism or Philosophical Courage? / Moreau, Denis
7. Bayle on the Moral Problem of Evil / Larivière, D. Anthony / Lennon, Thomas M.
8. Leibniz and the 'Disciples of Saint Augustine' on the Fate of Infants Who Die Unbaptized / Kremer, Elmar J.
9. Leibniz and the Stoics: The Consolations of Theodicy / Rutherford, Donald
10. Remarks on Leibniz's Treatment of the Problem of Evil / Sleigh, Robert C.
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Latzer, Michael J., author.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442682146 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|