Idols of Modernity : Movie Stars of the 1920s / Patrice Petro; Patrice Petro.
- Other records:
- New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press, 
- Star Decades: American Culture/American
1 online resource (328 p.) : 50 photographs
- Actors -- United States -- Biography.
Actresses -- United States -- Biography.
Motion picture actors and actresses -- United States -- Biography.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- With its sharp focus on stardom during the 1920s, Idols of Modernity reveals strong connections and dissonances in matters of storytelling and performance that can be traced both backward and forward, across Europe, Asia, and the United States, from the silent era into the emergence of sound. Bringing together the best new work oncinemaand stardom in the 1920s, this illustrated collection showcases the range of complex social, institutional, and aesthetic issues at work in American cinema of this time. Attentive to stardom as an ensemble of texts, contexts, and social phenomena stretching beyond the cinema, major scholars provide careful analysis of the careers of both well-known and now forgotten stars of the silent and early sound era-Douglas Fairbanks, Buster Keaton, the Talmadge sisters, Rudolph Valentino, Gloria Swanson, Clara Bow, Colleen Moore, Greta Garbo, Anna May Wong, Emil Jannings, Al Jolson, Ernest Morrison, Noble Johnson, Evelyn Preer, Lincoln Perry, and Marie Dressler.
Introduction: Stardom in the 1920s / Petro, Patrice
1. Douglas Fairbanks: King of Hollywood / Curtis, Scott
2. Buster Keaton: Comic Invention and the Art of Moving Pictures / Wolfe, Charles
3. The Talmadge Sisters: A Forgotten Filmmaking Dynasty / Jacobs, Lea
4. Rudolph Valentino: Italian American / Lawrence, Amy
5. An Appetite for Living: Gloria Swanson, Colleen Moore, and Clara Bow / Desjardins, Mary
6. Greta Garbo: Fashioning a Star Image / Fischer, Lucy
7. Anna May Wong:Toward Janus-Faced, Border-Crossing, "Minor" Stardom / Wang, Yiman
8. Emil Jannings:Translating the Star / Gemünden, Gerd
9. Al Jolson:The Man Who Changed the Movies Forever / Gabbard, Krin
10. African American Stardom Inside and Outside of Hollywood: Ernest Morrison, Noble Johnson, Evelyn Preer, and Lincoln Perry / Massood, Paula J.
11. Marie Dressler: Thief of the Talkies / Rapf, Joanna E.
In the Wings / Petro, Patrice
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- Curtis, Scott.
Massood, Paula J.
Petro, Patrice, editor., Editor,
Rapf, Joanna E.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.36019/9780813549293 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|