Capitalism and freedom in african political philosophy / Grivas Muchineripi Kayange.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan, 
xvii, 303 pages : illustration, maps ; 22 cm
- Capitalism -- Africa -- Philosophy.
Capitalism -- Philosophy.
- This book investigates 'capitalism and freedom--the guiding forces of many political systems--in African philosophy. It builds on classical and neoliberal capitalism rooted in private property and freedom, and argues for the presence of these elements in the traditional and modern African political systems. The author argues that while these elements are partly imported from Western capitalists, they are equally traceable in African traditional political systems. Kayange argues that African politics is marred by a conflict between embracing capitalism and freedom (individualism), on the one hand, and socialism founded on African communitarianism and communist ideas, on the other. This conflict has affected policy development and implementation, and has significantly contributed towards the socio-economic and ethical crises that are recurrent in most of the African countries.
- CHAPTER 1: General Introduction
CHAPTER 2: Theoretical Conceptualization of Capitalism and Freedom
CHAPTER 3: Capitalism and Freedom in African communitarianism
CHAPTER 4: Capitalism and Freedom in the Colonial Period
CHAPTER 5: Capitalism and Freedom in One Party Politics
CHAPTER 6: Capitalist multiparty democracy reforms
CHAPTER 7: Capitalist Economic Reforms in Africa
CHAPTER 8: Economic Freedom Conflict
CHAPTER 9: Sovereignty and Political Freedom Conflict between African Communitarianism and Capitalism
CHAPTER 10: Moral Freedom Conflict
CHAPTER 11: Primitive accumulation crisis in the modern African capitalism
CHAPTER 12: Neo-African Renaissance as a Response to Neo-Capitalism
CHAPTER 13: Afro-Chinese Alternative to Capitalism and Freedom Conflict
CHAPTER 14: Embedding capitalism and freedom in a comprehensive theory of ubuntu
CHAPTER 15: Conclusion.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|