Jews and Christians in the Holy Land : Palestine in the fourth century / by Günter Stemberger ; translated by Ruth Tuschling.
- Standardized Title:
- Juden und Christen im Heiligen Land. English
- Edinburgh : T&T Clark, 2000.
1 online resource (350 p.)
- Jews -- Palestine -- History.
Jews -- History -- 70-638.
Christians -- Palestine.
Palestine -- History -- 70-638.
Rome -- History -- Constantine I, the Great, 306-337.
Rome -- History -- Theodosius, the Great, 379-395.
- Electronic books.
- The fourth century is often referred to as the first Christian century, and for the Jews a period of decline and persecution. But was this change really so immediate and irreversible? What was the real impact of the Christianisation of the Roman Empire on the Jews, especially in their own land?Stemberger draws on all available sources, literary and archaeological, Christian as well as pagan and Jewish, to reconstruct the history of the different religious communities of Palestine in the fourth century.This book demonstrates how lively, creative and resourceful the Jewish communities remained.
- Administration, economy, population
The Jews of Palestine under Constantine
Church building and Christianization
The revolt against Gallus
Julian's religious policies and Palestine
The Jewish patriarch
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 317-321) and indexes.
Description based on print version record.
- Tuschling, Ruth, translator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|