Medieval monastic education [electronic resource] / edited by George Ferzoco and Carolyn Muessig.
- London ; New York : Leicester University Press, 2000.
1 online resource (254 p.)
- Monastic and religious life -- History -- Middle Ages, 600-1500.
Religious education -- History.
- Electronic books.
- While the role of monastic education has been studied in great detail in regard to male practices, this book examines the differences between the monastic formation and education of men and of women in Western Europe from the eighth to the sixteenth century. Fourteen chapters, written by well-known scholars, consider monastic education and practices in the geographical areas of England, France, Germany and the Low Countries. Using attitudes toward education and actual educational theories, the authors explore issues such as the use of music and physical training in education to explore new rea
- Contents; Illustrations; Contributors; Preface; Acknowledgements; 1 The changing face of tradition: monastic education in the Middle Ages; 2 Training for the liturgy as a form of monastic education; 3 Besides the book: using the body to mould the mind - Cluny in the tenth and eleventh centuries; 4 A medieval novice's formation: reflection on a fifteenth-century manuscript at Downside Abbey; 5 The scope of learning within the cloisters of the English cathedral priories in the later Middle Ages; 6 University monks in late medieval England
7 Hildegard of Bingen's teaching in her Expositiones evangeliorum and Ordo virtutum8 Learning and mentoring in the twelfth century: Hildegard of Bingen and Herrad of Landsberg; 9 Educating Heloise; 10 The role of images in monastic education: the evidence from wall painting in late medieval England; 11 Ghostly mentor, teacher of mysteries: Bartholomew, Guthlac and the Apostle's cult in early medieval England; 12 'Life, learning and wisdom': the forms and functions of beguine education; 13 Franciscan educational perspectives: reworking monastic traditions
14 Monastic educational culture revisited: the witness of Zwiefalten and the Hirsau reformAbbreviations; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -230) and index.
- Ferzoco, George.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|