The interpretation of scripture in early Judaism and Christianity : studies in language and tradition / edited by Craig A. Evans.
- Sheffield, England : Sheffield Academic Press, 
- Studies in scripture in early Judaism and Christianity ; 7.
Journal for the study of the Pseudepigrapha. Supplement series ; 33.
Journal for the study of the pseudepigrapha. Supplement series ; 33
Studies in scripture in early Judaism and Christianity ; 7
1 online resource (491 p.)
- Rabbinical literature -- History and criticism.
Christian literature, Early -- History and criticism.
Bible -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
- Electronic books.
- This volume assembles several important studies that examine the role of language in meaning and interpretation. The various contributions investigate interpretation in the versions, in intertestamental traditions, in the New Testament, and in the rabbis and the targumim. The authors, who include well-known veterans as well as younger scholars, explore the differing ways in which the language of Scripture stimulates the understanding of the sacred text in late antiquity and gives rise to important theological themes. This book is a significant resource for any scholar interested in the interpr
- Contents; Preface; Abbreviations; List of Contributors; From Language to Exegesis; PART I: INTERPRETATION IN INTERTESTAMENTAL TRADITIONS; PART II: INTERPRETATION IN THE NEW TESTAMENT; PART III: INTERPRETATION IN THE RABBIS AND THE TARGUMIM; Index of References; Index of Authors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed May 20, 2014).
- Evans, Craig A., editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|