Naval surface fire support : an assessment of requirements / Bradley Martin, Brittany Clayton, Jonathan Welch, Sebastian Joon Bae, Yerin Kim, Inez Khan, Nathaniel Edenfield.
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 
xviii, 70 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 23 cm
- Fire control (Naval gunnery).
- Naval surface fire support (NSFS) has been a traditional mission of U.S. Navy surface combatants. Although naval guns have been viewed as a major instrument of sea control, they have also been seen, and widely used, as ways to directly influence the battle ashore by providing the equivalent of artillery support for U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) forces operating ashore. Although there is no denying that the Navy and the USMC have viewed NSFS as important, the actual requirements are sometimes vague. For that reason, RAND researchers conducted an assessment of the formal requirements and programs for NSFS. The researchers examined existing requirements documents and refined those requirements by applying battalion-level scenarios. They also applied a formal model to address volume of fire and required magazine size and considered possible technological and platform solutions. By comparing actual and potential requirements, the researchers were able to then make recommendations for capability development and for changes to existing requirements.
The Historical Context and Current Capabilities
Naval Surface Fire Support Capability Development Requiremets
Scenario Analysis as a Basis for Additional Requirements
Volume Requirements Modeling
Naval Surface Fire Support Developmental Efforts
Conclusion, Findings, and Recommendations.
- "RAND National Defense Research Institute."
"Prepared for the United States Navy."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 67-70).
- Clayton, Brittany, author.
Welch, Jonathan C., author.
Bae, Sebastian J., author.
Kim, Yerin, author.
Khan, Inez, author.
Edenfield, Nathaniel, author.
National Defense Research Institute (U.S.)
United States. Navy.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7249/RR4351 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|