New approaches to governance and rule in urban Europe since 1500 / edited by Simon Gunn and Tom Hulme.
- New York : Routledge, 2020.
- Routledge advances in urban history ; 7
xviii, 285 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Municipal government -- Europe -- History -- Case studies.
Urban policy -- Europe -- History -- Case studies.
Cities and towns -- Europe -- History -- Case studies.
Cities and towns.
- Case studies.
- "Urban power and politics are topics of abiding interest for students of the city. This exciting collection of essays explores how Europe's cities have been governed across the last 500 years. Taken as a whole, it provides a unique historical overview of urban politics in early modern and modern Europe. At the same time, it guides the reader through the variety of ways in which power and governance are currently understood by historians and new directions in the subject. The essays are wide-ranging, covering Europe from Scandinavia to the Mediterranean, Russia to Ireland, between 1500 and the 20th century. Each chapter employs a specific case-study to illuminate a way of examining how power worked in regard to topics such as women, popular culture or urban elites. A variety of approaches are deployed, including the study of ritual and performance, morality and conduct, governmentality and the state, infrastructure and the individual. Reflecting the state of the art in European urban history, the book is essential reading for anyone interested in the study of urban politics and government. It represents a fresh take on a rich subject and will stimulate a new generation of historical studies of power and the city"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction : unravelling urban governance / Simon Gunn and Tom Hulme
Reassessing power and governance in late medieval cities : institutions and the cursus honorum / Justin Colson
Urban governance and prison building in pre-famine Ireland, 1820-1845 / Richard J. Butler
Governing taste : fin-de-siècle Cracow, its museums and the urban elite in the shaping of the modern metropolis / Markian Prokopovych
Governing sexuality : regulating prostitution in early modern Europe / Marion Pluskota
Negotiating urban governance : norm entrepreneurs in Dutch cities, 1850-1900 / Stefan Couperus and Dirk Jan Wolffram
The St Francis housing project : rituals, symbols and discourses in housing policies in Rome after the Second World War / Bruno Bonomo
Post-war urban pageants in Finland : performance, participation and power / Tanja Vahtikari
The foundation of St Petersburg as a variation upon Foucault's governmentality : the Russian service city, 1703-1740 / Gayle Lonergan and Kuzma Kukushkin
Urban materialities : citizenship, public housing and governance in modern Britain / Tom Hulme
A community not our own : urban enclosure and spatial governmentality under fascism / Álvaro Sevilla-Buitrago
Urban individuality and urban governance in twentieth-century Europe / Moritz Föllmer
Heterodoxies : new approaches to power and agency in the modern city / Simon Gunn.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gunn, Simon, 1954- editor.
Hulme, Tom, editor.
- Other format:
- Ebook version :
Online version: New approaches to governance and rule in urban Europe since 1500.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|