The Government of Life : Foucault, Biopolitics, and Neoliberalism / Miguel Vatter, Vanessa Lemm.
- New York, NY : Fordham University Press, 
- Forms of Living
1 online resource (304 pages)
- Local subjects:
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Foucault's late work on biopolitics and governmentality has established him as the fundamental thinker of contemporary continental political thought and as a privileged source for our current understanding of neoliberalism and its technologies of power. In this volume, an international and interdisciplinary group of Foucault scholars examines his ideas of biopower and biopolitics and their relation to his project of a history of governmentality and to a theory of the subject found in his last courses at the College de France.Many of the chapters engage critically with the Italian theoretical reception of Foucault. At the same time, the originality of this collection consists in the variety of perspectives and traditions of reception brought to bear upon the problematic connections between biopolitics and governmentality established by Foucault's last works.
List of Abbreviations
1. The Fourth Age of Security
2. The Law of the House hold: Foucault, Neoliberalism, and the Iranian Revolution
3. The Risks of Security: Liberalism, Biopolitics, and Fear
4. A Genealogy of Biopolitics: The Notion of Life in Canguilhem and Foucault
5. Power over Life, Politics of Death: Forms of Resistance to Biopower in Foucault
6. Identity, Nature, Life: Three Biopolitical Deconstructions
7. From Reason of State to Liberalism: The Coup d'État as Form of Government
8. Foucault and Rawls: Government and Public Reason
9. Foucault and Hayek: Republican Law and Liberal Civil Society
10. Parrhesia between East and West: Foucault and Dissidence
11. The Embodiment of Truth and the Politics of Community: Foucault and the Cynics
List of Contributors
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jul 2020)
- Lemm, Vanessa, editor., Editor,
Vatter, Miguel, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9780823256006 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|