Popular politics in an aristocratic republic : political conflict and social contestation in late medieval and early modern Venice / edited by Maartje van Gelder and Claire Judde de Larivière.
- London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2020.
- Body in the city
Body in the city
1 online resource (xiv, 252 pages) : illustrations.
- Venice (Italy) -- Politics and government -- 697-1508.
Venice (Italy) -- Politics and government -- 1508-1797.
Social conflict -- Italy -- Venice -- History.
Political participation -- Italy -- Venice -- History.
- Maartje van Gelder is Associate Professor in early modern history at the University of Amsterdam. Recent publications include a co-edited volume on Cross-Cultural Diplomacy and Diplomatic Intermediaries in the Early Modern Mediterranean (2015) and 'The People's Prince: Popular Politics in Early Modern Venice', The Journal of Modern History 90.2 (2018): 249-291. Claire Judde de Larivière is Senior Lecturer in medieval and Renaissance history at the University of Toulouse, and Honorary Research Fellow at Birkbeck, University of London. She has recently published The Revolt of Snowballs: Murano Confronts Venice, 1511 (trans. Thomas V. Cohen, 2018).
- Introduction Maartje van Gelder and Claire Judde de Larivière Chapter 1. Popular protest and alternative visions of the Venetian polity, c.1260 to 1423 Dennis Romano Chapter 2. Memorializing conspiracy and unrest. Venetian historical writing at the turn of the sixteenth century Monique O'Connell Chapter 3. Political participation and ordinary politicization in Renaissance Venice. Was the popolo a political actor? Claire Judde de Larivière Chapter 4. Popular heresies and dreams of political transformation in sixteenth-century Venice John Jeffries Martin Chapter 5. Spaces of unrest? Policing hospitality sites in early modern Venice Rosa Salzberg Chapter 6. Protest in the Piazza: contested space in early modern Venice Maartje van Gelder Chapter 7. Female agency, subjectivity, and disorder in early modern Venice Joanne M. Ferraro Chapter 8. Tensions and compromises in the republican system of justice in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Venice Cristina Setti Chapter 9. Boatmen, fishermen, and Venetian institutions: from negotiation to confrontation Robin Quillien and Solène Rivoal Chapter 10. Conflicts, social unease, and protests in the world of the Venetian guilds (sixteenth to eighteenth century) Andrea Zannini Afterword Edward Muir
- Electronic reproduction. London Available via World Wide Web.
Online resource; title from PDF title page (Taylor & Francis, viewed May 20, 2020).
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gelder, Maartje van, editor.
Judde de Larivière, Claire, editor.
Taylor & Francis eBooks
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|