Resolving land disputes in East Asia : exploring the limits of law / edited by Hualing Fu and John Gillespie.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2014.
1 online resource (xv, 447 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Land tenure -- Law and legislation -- East Asia.
Land use -- Law and legislation -- East Asia.
Land reform -- Law and legislation -- East Asia.
Eminent domain -- East Asia.
- Economic development and mass urbanization have unleashed unprecedented levels of land disputes in East Asia. In China and Vietnam especially, courts and other legal institutions struggle to find lasting solutions. It is against this background of legal failure that this book brings together leading scholars to understand how state agencies, land users and land developers imaginatively engage with each other to resolve disputes. Drawing on empirically rich case studies, contributors explore the limits of law and legal institutions in resolving land disputes and reveal insights into how key actors in East Asia understand land disputes. Their studies reveal promising dispute resolution practices and point to the likely ways that states will deal with land disputes in the future.
- Part I. Theorizing land disputes in socialist Asia
1. Resolving land disputes in East Asia: exploring the limits of law / John Gillespie and Hualing Fu
2. Property rights, commodification, and land disputes in contemporary Socialist Asia / Frank Upham
Part II. China case studies
3. Legal and institutional analysis of land expropriation in China / Lei Chan
4. The judicial role in land-taking cases / Jie Cheng
5. Contending conceptions of ownership and property in urbanizing China / Elva Pils
6. What does Wukan offer? Land-taking, law, and dispute resolution / Hualing Fu
7. Protest-supported housing demolition litigation and social change in China / Xin He
8. Courts and political stability: mediating rural land disputes / Susan Whiting and Hau Shao
9. Power and rule by law in rural China: state-initiated mediation in land disputes / Changdon Zhang and Christopher Heurlin
Part III. Vietnam case studies
10. An historical overview of Vietnamese land law and dispute resolution / Toan Le and Nguyen Hung Quang
11. Narrating land disputes in three Vietnamese communities / John Gillespie
Part IV. Taiwan case studies
12. An overview of Taiwanese land law and dispute resolution / Po-Fang Tsai and Duan Lin
13. Customary law and modern society: land disputes of Jisigongye (ancestral worship property) in Taiwan / Duan Lin and Po-Fang Tsai
Part V. Hong Kong case studies
14. An overview of Hong Kong land law and dispute resolution / Say H. Goo
15. The small house policy and Tso and Tong land: finding the interface between state and customary land in Hong Kong / Say H. Goo
16. Flexibly applying the law to regulate illegal buildings in Hong Kong / Alice Lee.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 08 Oct 2015).
- Fu, Hualing, editor.
Gillespie, John (John Stanley), editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781107589193 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|