Nepal in transition : from people's war to fragile peace / edited by Sebastian von Einsiedel, David M. Malone, Suman Pradhan.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
1 online resource (xiv, 398 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Peace-building -- Nepal -- International cooperation.
Nation-building -- Nepal -- International cooperation.
United Nations -- Nepal.
Nepal -- Politics and government -- 1990-.
- Since emerging in 2006 from a ten-year Maoist insurgency, the 'People's War', Nepal has struggled with the difficult transition from war to peace, from autocracy to democracy, and from an exclusionary and centralized state to a more inclusive and federal one. The present volume, drawing on both international and Nepali scholars and leading practitioners, analyzes the context, dynamics and key players shaping Nepal's ongoing peace process. While the peace process is largely domestically driven, it has been accompanied by wide-ranging international involvement, including initiatives in peacemaking by NGOs, the United Nations and India, which, throughout the process, wielded considerable political influence; significant investments by international donors; and the deployment of a Security Council-mandated UN field mission. This book shines a light on the limits, opportunities and challenges of international efforts to assist Nepal in its quest for peace and stability and offers valuable lessons for similar endeavors elsewhere.
The making of the Maoist insurgency / Deepak Thapa
State power and the security sector: ideologies and interests / Rhoderick Chalmers
Nepal's failed development / Devendra Raj Panday
Ethnic politics and the building of an inclusive state / Mahendra Lawoti
Masala peacemaking / Teresa Whitfield
A comprehensive peace? international human rights monitoring in Nepal / Frederick Rawski and Mandira Sharma
Support to Nepal's peace process: the role of the UN mission in Nepal / Ian Martin
Electing the constituent assembly / Catinca Slavu
Revolution by other means: the transformation of Nepal's Maoists / Aditya Adhikari
A yam between two boulders: Nepal, India and China / Rajeev Chaturvedy and David Malone
Bringing the Maoists down from the hills: India's role / S.D. Muni
A Nepali perspective on international involvement / Prashant Jha
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
- Einsiedel, Sebastian von, 1972- editor.
Malone, David, 1954- editor.
Pradhan, Suman, 1965- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781139021869 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|