Precedents and case-based reasoning in the European Court of Justice : unfinished business / Marc Jacob.
- Other Title:
- Precedents & Case-Based Reasoning in the European Court of Justice
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2014.
1 online resource (xv, 339 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Court of Justice of the European Communities.
Stare decisis -- European Union countries.
Case-based reasoning -- European Union countries.
Judgments -- European Union countries.
- Past cases are the European Court of Justice's most prominent tool in making and justifying the rulings and decisions which affect the everyday lives of more than half a billion people. Marc Jacob's detailed analysis of the use of precedents and case-based reasoning in the Court uses methods such as doctrinal scholarship, empirical research, institutional analysis, comparative law and legal theory in order to unravel and critique the how and why of the Court's precedent technique. In doing so, he moves the wider debate beyond received 'common law' versus 'civil law' figments and 'Eurosceptic' versus 'Euromantic' battle lines, and also provides a useful blueprint for assessing and comparing the case law practices of other dispute resolution bodies.
Setting precedents : law made in Luxembourg
Determining the essence of ECJ precedents
Precedent application by the ECJ
Avoiding ECJ precedents I : distinguishing
Avoiding ECJ precedents II : departing
ECJ precedents incontext
The normativity of ECJ precedents
Conclusions and suggestions.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781107053762 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|