Making transnational law work in the global economy : essays in honour of Detlev Vagts / edited by Pieter Bekker, Rudolf Dolzer and Michael Waibel.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
1 online resource (xxxiii, 684 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Vagts, Detlev F.
International and municipal law.
- This tribute to Professor Detlev Vagts of the Harvard Law School brings together his colleagues at Harvard and the American Society of International Law, as well as academics, judges and practitioners, many of them his former students. Their essays span the entire spectrum of modern transnational law: international law in general; transnational economic law; and transnational lawyering and dispute resolution. The contributors evaluate established fields of transnational law, such as the protection of property and investment, and explore new areas of law which are in the process of detaching themselves from the nation-state such as global administrative law and the regulation of cross-border lawyering. The implications of decentralised norm-making, the proliferation of dispute settlement mechanisms and the rising backlash against global legal interdependence in the form of demands for preserving state legal autonomy are also examined.
- Introduction : a Festschrift to celebrate Detlev Vagts' contribtuions to transnational law / Pieter H.F. Bekker, Rudolf Dolzer and Michael Waibel
Detlev Vagts and the Harvard Law School / William Alford
Constructing and developing transnational law : the contribution of Detlev Vagts / Henry Steiner
'Hegemonic international law' in retrospect / Anthony Anghie
Textual interpretation and (international) law reading : the myth of (in)determinacy and the genealogy of meaning / Andrea Bianchi
The changing role of the state in the globalising world economy / Jost Delbrück
Sources of human rights obligations binding the UN Security Council / Bardo Fassbender
Is transnational law eclipsing international law? / Daniel Kalderimis
Participation in the World Trade Organisation and foreign direct investment : national or European Union competences / Juliane Kokott
From dualism to pluralism : the relationship between international law, European law and domestic law / Andreas Paulus
Transnational law comprises constitutional, administrative, criminal and quasi-private law / Anne Peters
Founding myths, international law, and voting rights in the District of Columbia / Siegfried Wiessner
The tormented relationship between international law and EU law / Jan Wouters
International law scholarship in times of dictatorship and democracy : exemplified by the life and work of Wilhelm Wengler / Andreas Zimmermann
Sovereignty-plus in the era of interdependence : toward an international convention on combating human rights violations by transnational corporations / Olivier De Schutter
The noisy secrecy : Swiss banking law in international dispute / Jean Nicolas Druey.
Not-for-profit organisations, conflicts of laws and the right of establishment under the EC Treaty / Werner Ebke
The meaning of "investment" in the ICSID Convention / Barton Legum and Caline Mouawad
Toward a proper perspective of the private company's distinctiveness / George Nnona
Administrative law and international law : the encounter of an odd couple / Hernán Pérez Loose
Making transnational law work through regime-building : the case of international investment law / Jeswald Salacuse
Creditor protection in international law / Michael Waibel
Stability, integration and political modalities : some American reflections on the European project after the financial crisis / David Westbrook
Diffusion of law : the International Court of Justice as a court of transnational justice / Pieter Bekker
Regulating counsel conduct before international arbitral tribunals / Charles Brower and Stephan Schill
International arbitrators as equity judges / Jan Dalhuisen
Customary international law, Congress and the courts : the origins of the later-in-time rule / William Dodge
Mediation and civil justice : a public-private partnership? / Peter Murray
The borders of bias : rectitude in international arbitration / William Park
Managing conflicts between rulings of the World Trade Organization and regional trade tribunals : reflections on the Brazil-Tyres case / Julia Ya Qin
Cross-border bankruptcy as a model for the regulation of international attorneys / Catherine Rogers.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 05 Oct 2015).
- Bekker, Peter H. F., editor.
Dolzer, Rudolf, editor.
Waibel, Michael (Lawyer) editor.
Vagts, Detlev F., editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9780511675881 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|