Gender and law in the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East [electronic resource] / edited by Victor H. Matthews, Bernard M. Levinson, and Tikva Frymer-Kensky.
- Sheffield, England : Sheffield Academic Press, c1998.
- Journal for the study of the Old Testament. Supplement series ; 262.
Journal for the study of the Old Testament. Supplement series ; 262
1 online resource (257 p.)
- Bible. O.T.. -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Women in the Bible.
Women (Jewish law)
Women -- Middle East -- History.
Women -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Middle East.
- Electronic books.
- This striking new contribution to gender studies demonstrates the essential role of Israelite and Near East law in the historical analysis of gender. The theme of these studies of Babylonian, Hittite, Assyrian, and Israelite law is this: What is the significance of gender in the formulation of ancient law and custom? Feminist scholarship is enriched by these studies in family history and the status of women in antiquity. At the same time, conventional legal history is repositioned, as new and classical texts are interpreted from the vantage point of feminist theory and social history. Papers f
- Contents; Preface: From The Woman's Bible to Gender and Law; Abbreviations; List of Contributors; GENDER AND LAW: AN INTRODUCTION; Women and Psalms: Toward an Understanding of the Role of Women's Prayer in the Israelite Cult; The 'Whore' of Ezekiel 16: The Impact and Ramifications of Gender-Specific Metaphors in Light of Biblical Law and Divine Judgment; Virginity in the Bible; Honor and Shame in Gender-Related Legal Situations in the Hebrew Bible; A Riposte Form in The Song of Deborah
False Weights in the Scales of Biblical Justice?: Different Views of Women from Patriarchal Hierarchy to Religious Equality in the Book of DeuteronomyWives and Daughters, Bond and Free: Views of Women in the Slave Laws of Exodus 21.2-11; Gender and Law: A Case Study from Ancient Mesopotamia; 'Lest He Die in the Battle and Another Man Take Her': Violence and the Construction of Gender in the Laws of Deuteronomy 20-22; The Female Slave; Index of References; Index of Ancient Near Eastern Texts; Index of Authors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Matthews, Victor Harold.
Levinson, Bernard M. (Bernard Malcolm)
Frymer-Kensky, Tikva Simone.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|