Imprudent King : A New Life of Philip II / Geoffrey Parker.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (456 pages)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- A vast archive of documents, unread since the sixteenth century, revises the portrait of Spain's best-known king Philip II is not only the most famous king in Spanish history, but one of the most famous monarchs in English history: the man who married Mary Tudor and later launched the Spanish Armada against her sister Elizabeth I. This compelling biography of the most powerful European monarch of his day begins with his conception (1526) and ends with his ascent to Paradise (1603), two occurrences surprisingly well documented by contemporaries. Eminent historian Geoffrey Parker draws on four decades of research on Philip as well as a recent, extraordinary archival discovery-a trove of 3,000 documents in the vaults of the Hispanic Society of America in New York City, unread since crossing Philip's own desk more than four centuries ago. Many of them change significantly what we know about the king. The book examines Philip's long apprenticeship; his three principal interests (work, play, and religion); and the major political, military, and personal challenges he faced during his long reign. Parker offers fresh insights into the causes of Philip's leadership failures: was his empire simply too big to manage, or would a monarch with different talents and temperament have fared better?
PART I. THE THRESHOLD OF POWER
PART II. THE KING AND HIS WORLD
PART III. THE FIRST DECADE OF THE REIGN
PART IV. THE KING VICTORIOUS
PART V. THE KING VANQUISHED
Note on sources
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 15. Sep 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300210446 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|