Climate Machines, Fascist Drives, and Truth / William E. Connolly.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 
1 online resource (136 pages)
- Capitalism -- Philosophy.
Climatic changes -- Philosophy.
Global environmental change -- Philosophy.
Global environmental change -- Political aspects.
Truth -- Philosophy.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In this new installation of his work, William E. Connolly examines entanglements between volatile earth processes and emerging cultural practices, highlighting relays among extractive capitalism, self-amplifying climate processes, migrations, democratic aspirations, and fascist dangers. In three interwoven essays, Connolly takes up thinkers in the "minor tradition" of European thought who, unlike Cartesians and Kantians, cross divisions between nature and culture. He first offers readings of Sophocles and Mary Shelley, asking whether close attention to the Anthropocene could perhaps have arrived earlier had subsequent humanists absorbed their lessons. He then joins Deleuze and Guattari's notion of an abstract machine with contemporary earth sciences, doing so to compare the Antique Little Ice Age of the late Roman empire to contemporary relays between extractive capitalism and accelerating climate processes. The final essay stages a dramatic dialogue between Alfred North Whitehead and Michel Foucault about the pursuit of truth during a time of planetary turbulence. With Climate Machines Fascist Drives, and Truth, Connolly forges incisive interventions into key issues of our time.
Introduction. Climate, fascism, truth
One. Sophocles, Mary Shelley, and the planetary
Two. The anthropocene as abstract machine
Three. The lure of truth
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 28. Sep 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781478007258 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|