Research Universities and the Public Good : Discovery for an Uncertain Future / Jason Owen-Smith.
- Stanford, CA : Stanford University Press, 
- Innovation and Technology in the World Economy
1 online resource (232 pages)
- Academic-industrial collaboration -- United States.
Federal aid to research -- United States.
Research institutes -- Social aspects -- United States.
Research institutes -- United States -- Social aspects.
Universities and colleges -- United States.
- Local subjects:
- Universities. (search)
federal grants. (search)
high-technology industries. (search)
organizational theory. (search)
research and development. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In a political climate that is skeptical of hard-to-measure outcomes, public funding for research universities is under threat. But if we scale back support for these institutions, we also cut off a key source of value creation in our economy and society. Research Universities and the Public Good offers a unique view of how universities work, what their purpose is, and why they are important. Countering recent arguments that we should "unbundle" or "disrupt" higher education, Jason Owen-Smith argues that research universities are valuable gems that deserve support. While they are complex and costly, their enduring value is threefold: they simultaneously act as sources of new knowledge, anchors for regional and national communities, and hubs that connect disparate parts of society. These distinctive features allow them, more than any other institution, to innovate in response to new problems and opportunities. Presenting numerous case studies that show how research universities play these three roles and why they matter, this book offers a fresh and stirring defense of the research university.
1. A System to Insure the Future
2. The Organization of Research Universities
3. Sources of Discovery
4. Community Anchors
5. Hubs Linking Communities
6. Facing the Future Together
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 15. Sep 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781503607095 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|