Historical sex work : new contributions from history and archaeology / edited by Kristen R. Fellows, Angela J. Smith, and Anna M. Munns.
- Gainesville : University Press of Florida, 
viii, 295 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Prostitution -- United States -- History.
Social archaeology -- United States.
- "Exploring the sex trade in America from 1850 to 1920 through perspectives from archaeologists and historians, this volume expands the geographic and thematic scope of research on the subject, helping create an inclusive and nuanced view of social relations in United States history"-- Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: 1. The View from Two Fields: History and Archaeology of Historical Sex Work / Kristen R. Fellows
Section I Law and Spatial Order
2. Landscapes of Power and Desire: A Geographical Analysis of Washington, DCs Nineteenth-Century Brothel District / Jennifer A. Lupu
3. The Legal Language of Sex: Interpreting a Prostitution Hierarchy Using the Terminology of Criminal Charges / Anna M. Munns
4. "Alleged Crusades" and "Self-Fooled Reformers": The Rise and Fall of White Slavery Hysteria in the 1910s / Carol A. Bentley
5. Sex Workers in the City: Brothels, Working Women, and the Urban Landscape of Nineteenth-Century Boston's North End Neighborhood / Alexander D. Keim
Section II Illuminating Brothel Diversity: Children and Women of Color
6. Ghosts in the Archives: Using Archaeology to Discuss Brothel Childhoods / Jade Luiz
7. Using Racial Stereotypes as a Business Strategy: Ida Dorsey in Minneapolis / Penny A. Petersen
8. Melvina Massey: Fargo's Most Famous Madam / Angela J. Smith
Section III On the Flip Side: Men and Masculinities
9. Homosocial Bonding in the Brothel: Feminine Spaces and Masculine Identities / Kristen R. Fellows
10. The Enterprising Career of Tom Savage in Los Angeles' Red-Light District, 1870-1909 / AnneMarie Kooistra
11. "A WEAK MAN can now cure himself": Brothels as Alternative Venues for Treatment of "Private Diseases of Men"
and Other Afflictions / Mark S. Warner
12. Final Thoughts: Points of Intersection and Future Directions / Angela J. Smith.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Fellows, Kristen R., editor.
Smith, Angela (Angela Joan), editor.
Munns, Anna M., editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Historical sex work
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|