A Brief and Tentative Analysis of Negro Leadership / Ralph J. Bunche; Jonathan Scott Holloway.
- New York, NY : New York University Press, 
1 online resource
- African American leadership.
- Local subjects:
- History. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- A world-renowned scholar and statesman, Dr. Ralph J. Bunche (1903-1971) began his career as an educator and a political scientist, and later joined the United Nations, serving as Undersecretary General for seventeen of his twenty-five years with that body. This African American mediator was the first person of color anywhere in the world to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace. In the mid-1930s, Bunche played a key role in organizing the National Negro Congress, a popular front-styled group dedicated to progressive politics and labor and civil rights reform. A Brief and Tentative Analysis of Negro Leadership provides key insight into black leadership at the dawn of the modern civil rights movement. Originally prepared for the Carnegie Foundation study, An American Dilemma: The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy, Bunche's research on the topic was completed in 1940. This never-before-published work now includes an extended scholarly introduction as well as contextual comments throughout by Jonathan Scott Holloway.Despite the fact that Malcolm X called Bunche a "black man who didn't know his history," Bunche never wavered from his faith that integrationist politics paved the way for racial progress. This new volume forces a reconsideration of Bunche's legacy as a reformer and the historical meaning of his early involvement in the civil rights movement.
Note on Editorial Policy and Formatting
1. A General Survey of Negro Leadership
2. Illustrations of Negro Leadership Types
3. Life Histories Analysis
4. Leadership Schedules
About the Author and the Editor
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jul 2020)
- Holloway, Jonathan Scott, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.18574/9780814729403 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|